Saturday, August 22, 2009

Captain Obvious Playoff Predictions

OK, I know these picks are going to be hardly Earth shattering considering that the season is almost over and the fact that most of the pennant races this year aren't that close. But one of my friends asked me who I thought would make the playoffs, and I thought it was a good enough topic.

Here are the picks:

National League

East- Philadelphia Phillies- No Roy Halladay, but it's not going to matter. Cliff Lee and Pedro are more than enough to pad their lead and get them in to the playoffs.
Central- St. Louis Cardinals- This team is one of, if not the hottest team in baseball right now, and they have a very favorable schedule the rest of the way. They play the Cubs three more times in St. Louis.
West- Los Angeles Dodgers- Their hot start has carried them over, and while the Giants and Rockies are making runs, I think they have enough to hold them off. If someone is going to fade in the National League, it will probably be the Dodgers.
Wild Card- San Francisco Giants- I like the Giants pitching over the Rockies, and I think that could be the difference. Not only that, but the Ginats also play the Rockies nine more times- including six in San Francisco. And the Giants actually have a pretty legit shot at the Dodgers as they play them three times in San Francisco as well and could do some damage there.

American League

East- New York Yankees- If the Cardinals aren't the hottest team in baseball right now, it's gotta be the Yankees. They have built a solid team with probably the best defensive infield in the game. They've found answers to any questions that they might have had in the bullpen as well.
Central- Detroit Tigers- I'm picking them over the White Sox because I think that their schedule is a little bit easier, although they have a big stretch next week with the Angels on the road and the Rays. If they can navigate through that stretch well, I think they win it. And something to look out for- the last series of the year for them is against the White Sox in Detroit. That could be for the Division.
West- Los Angeles Angels- They have a fairly comfortable lead in the West, and they have more than enough to hold off the Rangers.
Wild Card- Texas Rangers- My main reason for picking the Rangers is because they have a much easier schedule and the fact that the Red Sox are struggling right now, and I think that they lack confidence. The Rangers are young, and they're just having a good time. I think that's going to keep the pressure off of them.

No comments: